March 5th, 2019

I have known now for two weeks that my daughter has decided to move out of the rented house where we are living. She expressed that she was fed up with a number of instances that have occurred and told the landlady she (we) would be moved out by the end of March. That is only four short weeks away. I asked where she planned on moving and she replied I have no idea.

Where we are is small, far from high end living, but only $650 per month. Now, several realities present themselves. First and last month rent will be required up front and center for a new residence. Any other place for rent will start at an absolute minimum of $800.00 per month.

I recalled that a friend of mine use to rent an apartment in their house. I don’t know what it has in the way of bedrooms, a bathroom, a kitchen, appliances or services so I contacted them by e-mail and asked if they would consider renting it out once again. It may possibly be well suited to our needs and they could receive an extra income. Knowing it has not been rented in a long time and it’s probably being used for excess storage, I volunteered that I would be willing to clean and prepare the apartment; they wouldn’t have to do anything. I suggested we should get together and talk about it.

When a reply came back without a definite NO I spoke to my daughter about it. My news appeared to fall on deaf ears and my message was drowned out by complaints of how high the cost of rent is. This was 3 days ago. Two days ago, I asked if she had given anymore thought as to where we would be moving, pointing out that there is not a lot of time to find a suitable place and orchestrate the move. Still she has no idea, so again I mention that we could maybe rent the apartment from my friends but we will have to decide quickly. The apartment will need to be cleaned and prepared and we must get started packing and searching for movers.

Immediately, she tells me that she does not want to live in London. I replied that I know it may not be the best but it would be a roof over our heads. Even though she does not know where she will be working yet, she says London is too far from her work. She continued with, the traffic is too crazy in and out of London. She will be too tired, the time traveling is too much, she would have to drive my granddaughter to school every day and pick her up every night plus travel to work and back home again. It’s just too much and will cost too much for gas. It wouldn’t be fair to move her daughter to another school when she has made friends and is being invited to birthday parties who in turn are being invited to her birthday at the beginning of April.

Once again, I suggest that my friend’s apartment is at the very least a roof over our heads and it provides a temporary solution to our present dilemma. My daughter says she is not at all worried about where to stay because if she has to she can sleep in her car and with her gym membership she can have daily showers. What about my granddaughter, I asked, where would she go?  The reply was as equally simple. She can stay at her grandmother’s.

All righty then! Let’s see if I can organize all the pieces to this jigsaw puzzle.  I leave my daughter’s and stay with my sister for one week, to take care of business that was just not possible to accomplish in, Little Hicksville. My stay with my sister was pushed to four weeks because of a series of events that kept me from returning back home. Upon returning home I’m met with the sudden urgency to vacate the property within six weeks. The flat out resistance to even consider my friend’s apartment, every suggestion that I present is cut down, the mention of a birthday party with guest yet no idea where we will be living.      

I see a pretty big hole in all of this. It doesn’t seem to include me anywhere.

Now, other tidbits of information are starting to make sense. On a couple of occasions since returning, my daughter has left the house to talk with her husband on the phone. Why all of a sudden the top secrecy? My granddaughter mentioned a house that she and her mom visited for moving to and my daughter telling me that it’s only a 20 minute drive from the next town over to where she hopes she will be hired.

Now if I were an educated man and were to have to guess I’d say that my services are no longer needed at this time. It seems that it’s God’s will for me to move on.

 Uncertainty sure has a way of frightening the daylights out of you but there is a bit of scripture, I’ve long understood and practiced many times before, it’s Philippians 4:6-7 NIV, It reads; don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank Him for all He has done. Then you will experience God’s peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus.

If you ever find yourself with your back up against the wall try to remember this verse. It really helps to know God is there for you.